Wednesday, May 27, 2015

2015 Summer Classic Film Book Reading List

For the past two summers I've participated in the Summer Reading Classic Film Book Challenge hosted by Raquel at her blog Out of the Past.

I love to read, but since I read a great deal professionally, pleasure reading sometimes tends to take a back seat to other hobbies. The summer challenge has been a great way to make sure I finally catch up with some of the books on my "to read" list!

Anyone is welcome to join in -- the goal is to try to read six film-related books in the three months between June 1st and September 1st.

Here's my list for Summer 2015!

First on the list is THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN by J.R. Jones, which I expect to review in June. The book looks great, and I recently enjoyed meeting the author and hearing him speak at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival. (Update: Here is my review of THE LIVES OF ROBERT RYAN.)


I also plan to review Jacqueline T. Lynch's new book on Ann Blyth in June. I'm so excited that Jacqueline has turned the "Year of Ann Blyth" at her Another Old Movie Blog into a book! It's titled ANN BLYTH: ACTRESS. SINGER. STAR. (Update: Here is my review!)


George Sanders is a favorite actor, and I was delighted to recently receive an e-book version of Sanders' MEMOIRS OF A PROFESSIONAL CAD for review.


THE DETECTIVE IN FILM by William K. Everson was recommended by Kristina. I've had other books by Everson on my shelves for many years, such as his A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE WESTERN FILM. I'm looking forward to checking out his 1970s take on detective movies.


I really enjoyed the introductions by Foster Hirsch at the previously mentioned Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival, so when his book THE DARK SIDE OF THE SCREEN: FILM NOIR was mentioned at the festival I immediately jotted down the title. It was first published in 1981; the updated edition I bought has a substantial afterword written a few years ago which discusses films which weren't available to view when the book was written, in pre-VHS, pre-DVD days.


I bought Arthur Lyons' DEATH ON THE CHEAP: THE LOST B MOVIES OF FILM NOIR when it was mentioned by Vienna last summer. I've looked at a few of the entries on various films, but after attending Lyons' namesake film noir festival now I really want to make it a point to read his book on the subject cover to cover.


I've got a rather "noirish" reading list this year! Following past practice, I'll be adding the link for each review to this post as I complete them.

If you'd like to participate, visit Raquel's blog for instructions on signing up and submitting reviews. It's easy!

Thanks to Raquel, and happy summer reading!

Previous summer reading challenge lists: 2014 and 2013.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth Ann Gallagher said...

I must confess even though I am a fast reader, that I tend to get so busy and not read as much as I used to. I'm thinking about doing the challenge! You've made great selections for yours. All look like good reads!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Jerry E said...

I also have several examples of William K. Everson's writing on the western but it was only in the past year or two I managed to pick up a used copy of his "DETECTIVE IN FILM" for the first time. I think you will find it really interesting, Laura, as Everson was very knowledgable on the subject and I really enjoyed his coverage of all the great series each studio put out-"THE SAINT", "CRIME DOCTOR", "MR. MOTO", "THE WHISTLER" et al. One read-through just isn't enough LOL!

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list. I'm looking forward to the Robert Ryan and Ann Blyth biographies. Mostly I seem to spend my time catching up on previously published books.
Thanks for the link to my post on The Lost B Movies of Film Noir.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

All nice choices, I like the crime theme you have going on. Death on the Cheap I look through a lot and I hope you enjoy that Everson book as much as I do, as Jerry noted it has great info on the series. Really looking forward to doing the challenge this year!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you again, Laura. I'm honored to be in such august company as your other book selections.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for the feedback!!

Beth, I hope you'll decide to participate. :)

Jerry, loved hearing you also recently picked up Everson's detective book, I look forward to checking it out even more now.

Vienna, I love catching up with older books I missed along with the "new" stuff, so I'm very grateful to you for making me aware of the Lyons book!

Kristina, I'm looking forward to hearing about your reading selections for the challenge!

Jacqueline, it's my pleasure, I'm looking forward to the book and the chance to share about it hear. I greatly enjoyed your Ann Blyth posts and am sure the book will be wonderful.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older