Wednesday, July 27, 2011

From My Collection: Eve Arden

Is there anyone who doesn't love Eve Arden? It's hard for me to imagine.

I'm always glad when I see her name in movie credits. There have been many Hollywood comediennes, but Eve Arden is truly one of a kind. Her presence in a movie guarantees intelligently delivered lines and witty wisecracks.

Around 1980 (give or take a year) I had the chance to see her on stage in the comedy CRITIC'S CHOICE, which incidentally had been filmed with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball for release in 1963.

It was a small theater, and Miss Arden came out after the show and graciously signed autographs:


The show had a nice cast:


I love Eve Arden in so many films, including STAGE DOOR (1937), COVER GIRL (1944), THE DOUGHGIRLS (1944), MILDRED PIERCE (1945), MY REPUTATION (1946), and THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE (1947). I'm very glad I had the opportunity to watch her perform in person!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

How awesome!! I'm also a huge fan of, Eve Arden. She sounds like a very nice person. I'm glad that you had a chance to meet her..

6:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Dawn! I'm always impressed with actors who are willing to meet with the public after expending the kind of energy a live performance takes. Very classy. :)

I've got a recording of Arden's OUR MISS BROOKS film here I need to get to soon...

Best wishes,
Laura

2:52 PM  
Blogger la peregrina said...

Is there anyone who doesn't love Eve Arden?

That's a rhetorical question, correct? ;)

3:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You betcha! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older