Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Changing The King's Speech?

There's an interesting story in the Los Angeles Times today that producer Harvey Weinstein is seriously considering editing language from THE KING'S SPEECH (2010) in order to achieve a more family-friendly rating.

The movie is currently rated R for language. I covered the issue at some length in my review.

The movie is rated for ages 12 and up in England, where it's leading at the box office. Weinstein apparently sees a large missed market in the United States, especially with the positive publicity from the film's 12 Oscar nominations.

Whether or not the movie could excise the language and accomplish the same dramatic points in the main scene in which it's used is an open question. I suspect the language repeated in whispers near the end of the film could be edited out without any impact.

Weinstein is discussing possible changes with director Tom Hooper: "Tom and I are trying to find a unique way to do this that keeps his vision of the movie."

The TV-movie BERTIE AND ELIZABETH (2002) addressed the stammering at some length, though not as extensively as in THE KING'S SPEECH, without any language issues.

I do suspect Weinstein is correct that some who might otherwise watch the movie are missing out. My 15-year-old, for instance, is unwilling to watch R-rated films, and she would otherwise be interested in trying the movie.

The DVD is currently listed available for preorder at Amazon, but no date is given. I tend to think it might not be released for a while in order to cash in at the box office on Oscar nominations, not to mention potential wins next month.

12 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I do hope they do this. I know several people, who like your daughter, are unwilling to watch it and that's a shame. You remember back on your original discussion how I was reluctant to go see it but I'm glad I did of course and that word and the way in which was used didn't bother me at all. The DVD should be released in it's original format though.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

If they change it, I think it would be great if they put both versions on the DVD. :) So glad you liked it too!

Best wishes,
Laura

1:49 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I think this is a great idea! I would definitely be open to watching it if they omitted the offensive language. I think it sounds like a great story and I'm glad they are considering opening it up for a broader audience.

2:37 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Just why is it your daughter won't watch this particular R rated movie? There is no gratuitous sex or violence, the only swear words are an important plot point and historically accurate, and you can recommend the film, then what would stop her?
After all, she can watch it in a theatre with you or rent the DVD together.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

She has permission and my encouragement to watch it, for the reasons you state, but it's a personal choice of hers that she will not watch any R rated movies, at least at this point in her life.

Since she has reasons which are as valid as my opinion that seeing the movie is worthwhile, I see no reason to dissuade her from her conviction. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

3:50 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Better too much restraint than not enough at that age! :-)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Rick Moore said...

I think it would be a mistake to change the movie. The language, while qualifying for the "R" rating, made perfect sense in the context it was presented and was not objectionable at all to me. Frankly, I think the rating board blew it on this one, especially when you look at the kind of stuff that's allowed in PG-13 films.

My sister doesn't want to take her 14-year old but I told her she'd be making a mistake to miss this one. If a kid gets the vapors because they hear the "F" word they're going to have a hard time dealing with the real world.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I think it would be ridiculous for them to change it. While I haven't seen the movie I've heard its a phenomenal movie. Don't change such a good movie just to squeeze out a few more bucks, that's my opinion anyway.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

I think it's an excellent idea. I really wanted to see this movie, and right now it's the language issue holding me back. I hope they're serious about it.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love hearing such a variety of opinions on this issue! Keep 'em coming. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

5:49 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

I'm not familiar with this story. This is historically accurate? Where is it documented that he said the "F" word so many times? Didn't realize that word was so common word back then. I've known American senior citizens who told me that back in the 1930s and 40s, "f" words (among other profanities and vulgarties) were not used like they're used today. Maybe it was different in Britain.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Fascinating how the pendulum always swings and it's always economics that does it.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older