Friday, December 31, 2010

Fox Movie Channel in January: Highlights

There are a number of interesting titles on the Fox Movie Channel schedule in January. Below are a few highlights, especially focusing on films which haven't aired in the Fox rotation recently:

...January 2nd there's a young Joel McCrea in BIRD OF PARADISE (1932), followed by a film I've wanted to see for ages: MOTHER IS A FRESHMAN (1949) with Loretta Young, Van Johnson, Rudy Vallee, and Barbara Lawrence. It was filmed at the University of Nevada at Reno, where several other films of the era were shot, including APARTMENT FOR PEGGY (1948). The movie is airing almost exactly one year after I mentioned how much I'd like to see it. In the past year I've managed to see 3 more of the half-dozen films listed in that post, and I've acquired a copy of yet another of the titles. Only HOTEL FOR WOMEN (1939) still eludes me.

...My DVR malfunctioned when I WAS AN ADVENTURESS (1940) aired last month, so I'm glad it's on again January 3rd. It stars Richard Greene, Vera Zorina, and Peter Lorre.

...SLAVE SHIP (1937), airing on the 4th, stars Warner Baxter and George Sanders. Later that day lovely Elaine Stewart (CODE TWO) stars with John Derek in THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA (1955).

...BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940) is a well-made film with Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, Dean Jagger, Mary Astor, and Vincent Price. It will be shown January 7th.

...January 9th there's an early George Montgomery "B" film, ACCENT ON LOVE (1941).

...Don Ameche stars in THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1939) on January 14th.

...On January 15th Betty Grable, Alice Faye, and John Payne star in TIN PAN ALLEY (1950), the predecessor of I'LL GET BY (1951).

...The charming HOME IN INDIANA (1944), with Jeanne Crain, Lon McAllister, and June Haver, will be shown January 19th.

...ALASKA PASSAGE (1959), a Bill Williams film about Alaskan truck drivers, sounds rather unique. It will be shown on the 21st.

...I recorded a recent showing of Tyrone Power's KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES (1953), which was partly filmed on location in Lone Pine, California. It will air again on January 28th.

...Fritz Lang's THE RETURN OF FRANK JAMES (1940), with Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney, ends the month on January 31st.

As always, keep in mind that Fox typically shows films multiple times over several weeks; I've only listed one air date per film. Check the schedule for alternate air dates.

Happy viewing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Wickliffe said...

Meanie, making me wish I had TV!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I understand your pain. :) I didn't own a VHS player until roughly the late '90s, not long before DVD players arrived -- on the other hand, I was a fairly early adopter of Beta, in 1980 -- and we also did without any cable TV for *many* years. I hope you'll have an opportunity to see some of these films in the future!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older