Monday, March 30, 2009

New Book: Anthony Mann: The Life and Films

Here's a find -- thanks to my Dad -- sure to interest many film buffs: ANTHONY MANN: THE LIFE AND FILMS.

This new book by William Darby will be out on April 13, 2009.

It will be published by McFarland & Company, which publishes many interesting books on film and television. (I'd love to add the pricey history of the TV show THE VIRGINIAN to my collection one day; when I was a teenager I loved watching it in reruns.)

Mann was previously the subject of a book by historian Jeanine Basinger; she updated her 1979 book in 2007.

Mann films previously reviewed here include HE WALKED BY NIGHT (1948), which he worked on without credit; the outstanding THE TALL TARGET (1951), about a plot to kill Abraham Lincoln on the way to his inauguration; the entertaining western BEND OF THE RIVER (1952); and THUNDER BAY (1953), which I found to be one of Mann's lesser efforts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Hey, thanks to your dad for this find...I may have to track this down through an inter-library loan or something because the price tag is a bit staggering.

Anthony Mann is one of my absolute favorites among film directors, and all the films of his you've reviewed here are great (though you are right about Thunder Bay, it is a poky little puppy). He's probably best known for Winchester '73, an oater I've seen too many times to accurately count; whenever it's playing on TCM (or on occasion, AMC) and I happen to come across it...BAM! It's like the remote no longer works and will not resume normal operative functions until the closing credits roll.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ivan,

Hope you can put your hands on it. My dad is a great resource for many of the "finds" I mention here. :)

I LOL re your description of THUNDER BAY, as well as WINCHESTER '73. Our family experiences the same phenomenon whenever YOU'VE GOT MAIL or THE QUIET MAN comes on the screen. No matter how many times we've seen them, the channel doesn't change if one of those films comes on the screen!

I haven't seen WINCHESTER '73 in a long time and will add it to my ever-growing list of films to watch.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older