Monday, January 19, 2009

Coming to DVD: Waterloo Bridge (1940)

It's a great month for Robert Taylor fans: on January 20 his 1935 film MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION will be released as an "extra" in Criterion's release of the Douglas Sirk remake.

Just one week later, on January 27, the beloved WATERLOO BRIDGE, costarring Vivien Leigh, comes to DVD. The film was a personal favorite of both its stars, who had costarred two years previously in A YANK AT OXFORD.

I've never seen either film and am very much looking forward to seeing them in beautiful DVD prints.

As a postscript, I recently saw a large chunk of Leigh's 1941 film THAT HAMILTON WOMAN. I can't emphasize enough how much both her beauty and acting ability impressed me, even being so familiar with her justly famous work in GWTW and A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE. I'm looking forward to catching the entire movie in the future.

5 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

I think that Vivien Leigh was prettier and a better actress than Elizabeth Taylor, but not everyone agrees with that.

I remember watching Waterloo Bridge with my mother when I was in high school.

POSSIBLE SPOILER: I found it so sad I've never watched it again. My mother only watches parts of it.

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

7:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've always been a bit leery of it as I know it's a mega-weeper... However, I saw a clip at Jacqueline's Another Old Movie Blog site that was very intriguing, and I figure given the lead actors I've got to watch it at least once. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

7:52 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

I prefer the original version with
Mae Clark- it's much more earnest for some reason. I'm probably biased 'cause I like Mae Clark so much. It's on the first Forbidden Hollywood set.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

You can get a jump on the DVD release--TCM is running the 1940 Waterloo tomorrow morning at 9:15am EST.

By the way, I agree with Mr. Loophole that the 1931 version is preferable, though that doesn't mean the Leigh-Taylor film is without merit.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the input, J.C. and Ivan! My dad has the Forbidden Hollywood #1 set so I'm sure I'll be checking out the original at some point. Very interested in your comments on it.

Thanks as well, Ivan, for the tip on TCM showing the movie this week.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older