Friday, October 10, 2008

"The Real Maggie O'Connell"

Actress Janine Turner of NORTHERN EXPOSURE was interviewed by Kathryn Jean Lopez of National Review Online. It's a terrific read. Turner's viewpoints are quite different from what we so often hear expressed by celebrities.

Turner, who is pro-life, says "I believe in life at conception and I believe every child has a destiny and a God-given purpose... It is beyond my comprehension that Sen. Obama thinks babies who are accidentally born after a failed abortion should just be left to die. It is truly heartbreaking."

Turner supports the McCain-Palin ticket. Governor Palin, of course, is from the very state which was the distinctive setting for NORTHERN EXPOSURE, in which Turner played pilot Maggie O'Connell.

Turner on Governor Sarah Palin: "I was always so proud to portray the spunky, self-reliant, smart Maggie O’Connell. Maggie flew her own plane, shot her own moose, marched to the beat of her own drum. She was a breakthrough television character at the time. I am very flattered when the comparisons are made between Maggie O’Connell and Governor Palin. I created a character, but Governor Palin is the real deal. I am supporting Governor Palin with pride. I actually cried when I heard she was nominated... I am supporting and applauding her character, moral fiber, intellect, feistiness, and spunk. She is the essence of the independent spirit of America — the pioneer spirit — the type of spirit that made and makes America great."

Turner also said, "My father is a West Point Military graduate so I was raised with a sense of honor, dedication and sacrifice for our Country. My views have always been conservative and I found this to be a great challenge as a young actress in Hollywood during the Reagan days."

I remember those days well -- Turner was a long-haired blonde on GENERAL HOSPITAL circa 1982, playing the younger sister of Demi Moore. It was quite a surprise to have her later turn up on NORTHERN EXPOSURE with short, dark hair.

I was pleased to learn that Turner will be appearing this season on FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS.

Turner is also the author of the recent book HOLDING HER HEAD HIGH: 12 SINGLE MOTHERS WHO CHAMPIONED THEIR CHILDREN AND CHANGED HISTORY.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I'll have to look fot that book. I always liked "Maggie".

5:06 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Janine is also a spokeswoman for Team Sarah--- go check it out Laura-- It's a nice forum.

http://www.teamsarah.org/

8:54 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

That was a great article. It takes a lot of guts for a conservative in Hollywood to speak up and express their views and I applaud her for it.
Someone else who speaks up and that I admire is Patricia Heaton.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the link, Cathy!

Irene, I agree. One reason I wished BACK TO YOU was a stronger show which had lasted was it was a bit unique to have a series starring two conservatives, Heaton and Grammer.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:51 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

A great interview. I hope her backbone puts other Hollywood conservatives hiding out take notice. If she can come out, why not others?

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older