Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Rush Limbaugh Signs Through 2016

Rush Limbaugh, who will soon celebrate his show's 20th anniversary, has signed a new contract through 2016.

The deal is rumored to be worth $400 million, with a nine-figure signing bonus.

This is certainly the best politically related news I've heard in a long time...

Rush is profiled in the Sunday New York Times Magazine. It's already online. I haven't had time to read it yet so I have no idea about the article's tone or accuracy.

There's a nice slide show accompanying the article.

I have to add that Limbaugh's righthand man, James Golden (aka Bo Snerdley), has provided some of the funniest radio I've heard in ages, in his role as the "Official Obama Criticizer."

Update: I've now read the article and agree with J.C. and Dana's comments that it was a good piece.

One of the things I don't think the article quite captures is the sheer volume of interesting information and detailed analysis which Rush provides his listeners on a daily basis. I enjoy other radio hosts, but find they become repetitive after the first hour and tend not to cover as much territory in a single show; they will often focus on just one main topic. Rush is the only host who consistently holds the listener's attention for his entire three-hour broadcast, thoughtfully covering a remarkable number of subjects in a single program.

4 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Read the article - and was suprised at how good it was. It was fairly even handed and Rush seemed to open up quite a bit. It was definitely not a hit piece as far as I could tell.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Ditto, loophole. I was pleasantly surprised. Overall, it seemed rather evenhanded. The only quibble I had (which is more with the NYT perhaps, or whoever did the editing) was with the online version the first sentence of a paragraph, highlighted in bold (I have it in caps) was this lede:

"LIMBAUGH WAS A FAILURE almost as long as he has been a success."

Perhaps its just my cynicism rearing its suspicious head...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the feedback! I read it at lunch and liked it too.

Dana, are you the Dana Patterico credits with passing on the story about the mistake in the Supreme Court decision? I saw you had a comment in that thread. Good going!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:00 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Yes Laura, I was stunned when I read it. An unfortunate (and unbelievable) error. I just don't see how it cannot cause a reconsideration....but of course as the article states, that is up to one in the majority to determine the need.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older