Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom

Time for the final post in the series on my whirlwind trip to Disney World at the start of the month!

Californians are usually struck by how big Cinderella's Castle is compared to Sleeping Beauty Castle:


The castle has a restaurant inside, Cinderella's Royal Table.

One of the things Disneyland fans like me enjoy about Florida's Magic Kingdom is its "retro" appeal -- in many ways it reminds me of the Disneyland of my childhood. Florida's Fantasyland, for example, still has the colorful medieval "fair" type facades which Anaheim discarded when New Fantasyland opened in 1983.

There are a number of rides in Florida which are no longer at Disneyland, including Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which is a People Mover; Country Bear Jamboree; Swiss Family Treehouse; and Astro Orbiter, which has an elevator and is up high like Disneyland's old Rocket Jets, rather than sitting on the ground like our current Astro Orbitor. (See this post if you're curious about Florida having an Orbiter and Anaheim having an Orbitor...)

The Fantasyland rides in Anaheim and Florida are sometimes quite different. For instance, Florida's Snow White ride focuses more on Snow White, while Anaheim has more of the witch. Florida's Pooh ride has a section with a "Tigger bounce." The entrance to It's a Small World is much different in Florida -- the white buildings which are outdoors in Anaheim are inside in Florida:


(Speaking of It's a Small World, check out today's big update at MiceAge; they may put Disney characters in It's a Small World as part of the months-long rehab this year. I'm not wild about that idea...)

Florida's Magic Kingdom also has some rides which aren't at Disneyland. My favorite is Mickey's PhilharMagic, which according to the above MiceAge update isn't coming to California, at least anytime soon. Another of my favorites is Magic Carpets of Aladdin. I love the theming around this ride, too, which includes "jewels" pressed into the pavement.

There is an entire land, Liberty Square, which isn't at Disneyland. Its attractions include the Hall of Presidents. I love this area!

We enjoyed the new Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor:


Stitch's Great Escape! (remodeled from Alien Encounter) is fairly silly as Disney attractions go, but with major Stitch fans in the family, I've now seen it twice.

For those of you wondering about Disneyland rides missing from the Magic Kingdom, they include the Matterhorn, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Story Book Land Canal, the Casey Jr. Circus Train, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Tarzan's Treehouse, and Indiana Jones. The Magic Kingdom also does not have New Orleans Square or Critter Country.

People sometimes ask me which of the two parks I like best. I guess I'd have to say I feel a special love and loyalty for Disneyland, which was "Walt's Park," which I visited growing up and where I even met my husband. However, they are both wonderful parks, enjoyable for both their similarities and their differences, and I love them both!

Previous posts: Walt Disney World: Epcot; Walt Disney World: Animal Kingdom; Walt Disney World: Disney's Hollywood Studios; Walt Disney World: The Resorts; Walt Disney World: Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa; Coming Soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

And Floridians are also struck by how small our castle is. I think that is one of their big disappointments when they come here.

Speaking of things Florida has that we don't ... what about Carousel of Progress. Isn't that back there still? I really miss Country Bears. I read MiceAge this morning about Small World and I'm really not happy about the Disney characters being put in. I don't think it's necessary to have them in every ride and SW is special because of the NY Worlds Fair.

By the way, I updated my blog today (shock) because I went to see Live With Regis & Kelly which is shooting here this week.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, they do still have Carousel of Progress! I really enjoyed the chance to finally see it on a past trip, although no time this trip. I understand that it sometimes is not open during off-peak seasons.

Thanks for the tip on your blog update! Sounds like fun. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

6:23 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Looks like a hoot. I haven't made it to either park yet, but someday. The kids are grown now, but maybe we'll be able to take the grandbabies sometime. It'll probably be California for us...

7:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you have the chance, Paula! You'll have a wonderful time. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:18 AM  
Blogger The Whiz Kid Forte said...

I loved reading your post - am going back this month to see PhilharMagic, ride the repetitive It's A Small World, and see SpectroMagic, among other kit and kaboodle...

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older