Thursday, July 19, 2007

New on DVD: Esther Williams, Vol. I

This week is very exciting for MGM musical fans, with the release of Volume 1 of the Esther Williams Collection.

I've seen all the films either in revival theaters or on video. NEPTUNE'S DAUGHTER, which introduces the standard "Baby, It's Cold Outside," is probably my favorite in the bunch. I always enjoy Betty Garrett, who plays Esther's sister. BATHING BEAUTY is also a particularly good showcase for Esther's talent. All of the films are a lot of fun, and the set is well worth acquiring. My only quibble is that it would have been wonderful if Esther had done a commentary track for one of the films. On the other hand, I'm very excited about the presence of a couple deleted musical numbers.

J.C. Loophole of The Shelf has written an extremely detailed and informative review of the films themselves and the set as a whole. Don't miss it.

Hopefully there will be a Volume 2 of Esther's movies in future!

Coming next Tuesday: More MGM magic, with the release of Classic Musicals From the Dream Factory, Vol. 2.

4 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

TCM is showing several Esther movies today.


Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

7:09 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

This is something I am going to have to look into. That article at The Shelf was very good.

A lot of her co-stars in these movies like Lucille Ball, Red Skelton, etc. I have always enjoyed. I also found out many of these movies are available separately from the county library on VHS, all except the one with Lucille Ball, go figure. Having them all on one DVD set and the better quality of DVD's is a real selling point to me, however.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the tip, Missy!

Wasn't that a good article at the Shelf, Irene? There is definitely so much "re-watching" entertainment value in this, I think it would be well worth investing in the set. The prints J.C. described sound wonderful!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:20 AM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Thanks for the kind comments! I agree there is definitely a lot of rewatching vaule in the set, especially with the great features. The TCM Spotlight series is looking to be another excellent set(and value) from WB/TCM. I am really looking forward to the William Powell/Myrna Loy set also!
Next week, we will have another review- this time of the new Classic Musicals , Vol. II. So far so good. The Royal Wedding Print is great. Thank goodness they saved it from Public Domain.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older