Thursday, January 04, 2007

Why John McCain is a No-Go for Conservatives

The man simply drips with condescension toward those with whom he disagrees, and he has no core values. Indeed, when he says early on in a new Vanity Fair profile that "I'm willing to negotiate anything," it's unclear in context if he means with regard to illegal immigration specifically or is speaking in more general terms.

Either way, that position -- which is no position -- doesn't work for me.

Hugh Hewitt has analysis.

Update: Power Line points the way to a transcript of a conversation Hugh Hewitt had with Mark Steyn today regarding the McCain article.

Steyn on McCain: "Here is a guy who was in many ways a conventional, mainstream Republican conservative when he started out. Now, his only political bedrock belief seems to be in his own indispensibility. Everything other than that is negotiable."

Ouch.

3 Comments:

Blogger jau said...

Now I know what makes me cringe about him! His condescension is masked pretty well I guess but I have a patronizing meter that goes off even when I don't know why. Thank you for putting words on it.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL re your "patronizing meter." I like that!

I think one of the things Rudy Giuliani does pretty successfully is convey that good people can disagree on this policy or that policy. I disagree with him on quite a bit, but if we were to discuss it in person, I don't feel he'd be looking down his nose at me the way Senator McCain would.

Laura

6:15 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Good point. Plus, I don't expect to agree with anyone all the time. That's what makes things interesting. But I do want to agree on major topics AND to feel other people (me, for example) will have our viewpoints heard.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older