Friday, December 08, 2006

Tonight's Movie: One Special Night (1999)

I videotaped ONE SPECIAL NIGHT when it first aired on CBS seven years ago. At the time I recorded it, I was very much looking forward to seeing the reunion of James Garner and Julie Andrews, 35 years after they first appeared together in THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY -- and 17 years after VICTOR/VICTORIA -- yet somehow the tape ended up almost forgotten in the back of our video cupboard. (It might have something to do with the fact that at the time the tape was made, the youngest of my four children was a year old and we were in the middle of a major remodel of our home...I'm pretty sure at the time I had walls, floors, and ceilings missing!)

Perhaps I wasn't meant to watch the movie until this week, because it struck the perfect chord for me seeing it now. It's a lovely film about two lonely people finding a second chance at love, with the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays as a backdrop. If you're looking for a change of pace from the usual holiday fare, you can't do better than watching Garner and Andrews, two consummate pros, in a moving and enjoyable story.

According to IMDb, the beautiful snowy exteriors were filmed in Montreal.

ONE SPECIAL NIGHT is available on DVD and video. It runs 92 minutes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I remember this movie. I think I taped it too. Now, where did I put that???

Another made for TV movie that I really enjoyed was The Christmas Box (1995) with Maureen O'Hara. That was a lovely movie with an excellent story line and good ending.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'll have to be on the lookout for THE CHRISTMAS BOX. I always enjoy Maureen O'Hara, and that's one I haven't yet seen. Thanks for the tip!

Best wishes, Laura

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question I am a 15 year old girl from montreal, I was wondering if there is a little young girl in this movie that sits on Julia Andrews knee? You can contact me at bryanaa-xo@hotmail.com. I would very much appreciate it, I have not seen the movie, thank you.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older