Friday, December 15, 2006

Tonight's Movie: A Christmas Carol (2004)

Tonight we enjoyed the 2004 TV musical production of A CHRISTMAS CAROL starring Kelsey Grammer as Ebenezer Scrooge.

While not the most moving or sumptuous production of A CHRISTMAS CAROL made thus far -- that honor, in my book, goes to the 1984 TV production starring George C. Scott -- this version is engaging on its own terms. Grammer is entertaining as the infamous crank whose life is changed one Christmas Eve. The film has a pleasant score and a solid supporting cast including Jane Krakowski, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Geraldine Chaplin. I particularly enjoyed Jesse L. Martin of LAW AND ORDER as the Ghost of Christmas Present and Jason Alexander as Jacob Marley.

If you're looking for a new version of a familiar classic to enjoy during the holiday season, this movie nicely fills the bill.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL runs 97 minutes. It is available on DVD. Additionally, the soundtrack is available on CD.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I agree that the George C. Scott version is among one of the best. You know which version I like (besides the classic Alister Sims version)? Muppet Christmas Carol. I felt that was one of the best Muppet movies ever made and a great adaptation.

Jim Hill over at JimHillMedia.com has been running a multi part series reviewing as many versions of A Christmas Carol as he could get his hands on. It has been an interesting series with some versions (movies and made for TV) that I never knew existed.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I have to try MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, my children really like that one and I've not yet made time for it myself.

I'm partial myself to MICKEY'S CHRISTMAS CAROL. :) I also love the old MGM version with Reginald Owen and the Lockhart family, which is short and sweet.

Thanks for the tip on the Jim Hill website, I have bookmarked it to check out his CHRISTMAS CAROL reviews. Sounds like a fun topic.

Best wishes, Laura

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older