Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Around the Blogosophere Today

I came across some interesting and provocative reads today which I thought I'd highlight briefly.

Ed Morrissey has questioned whether electronic voting machines are a threat to democracy (subject link). I know I certainly feel less secure voting electronically, and I would happily return to punch cards which leave a paper trail.

Rush Limbaugh today mentioned an interesting article in Opinion Journal, about the "fertility gap" between conservatives and liberals. Over time liberals may end up far outnumbered by conservatives. I've done my part to add to the "gap" thanks to being blessed with four children. :)

Jonah Goldberg writes on the "Living Constitution's Double Standard." Those who believe in the "living Constitution" actually only believe in it in those circumstances where it's convenient to their beliefs that the Constitution be "flexible." Goldberg concludes: "Where the Constitution is supposed to be inert, they want it alive and mutating. But where the Constitution was intended to be flexible, intellectual rigor mortis has set in."

John Hinderaker of Power Line reflects on President Bush as a public speaker, a theme also discussed in Kathleen Parker's new column. Mr. Hinderaker described hearing President Bush speak today as "the most inspiring forty minutes I've experienced in politics."

2 Comments:

Blogger CGHill said...

Personally, I don't know why the other 49 states don't adopt the Oklahoma system. You get a real paper ballot, you mark it, you slide it into the box, and at the end of the day, they print the totals from all those scanned ballots, seal the box, and transport it to the State Election Board. Except for the Big Quadrennial, results are usually in before the Tonight Show starts, and we're an hour earlier here in Central.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

The Oklahoma system sounds good to me! :) Thanks much for your note -- Laura

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older