Monday, July 10, 2006

Farewell to The Girl Next Door

Sad news today that June Allyson, a favorite actress of many wonderful films of the '40s and '50s, has died at 88. She was a unique personality, with her raspy but appealing voice and cheerful disposition. (She was also mighty effective in crying scenes...)

Allyson's best films include GOOD NEWS, LITTLE WOMEN, and THE GLENN MILLER STORY. My younger daughter is a particular Allyson fan and has watched her countless times in TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR. :)

Further obituaries can be found at The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

When I heard about June yesterday, it made me very sad, but then I thought about her and Jimmy Stewart in The Glenn Miller Story...

what a wonderful career- she'll always be one of my favorites.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Absolutely -- she was really special. I think her "every woman" quality made her someone to whom we could all relate. We are so fortunate to have her movies! Laura

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent obituary links. I'll have to add these to my blog. I agree with all your June Allyson movie choices, except Good News. I've never enjoyed that movie, sorry, but some of the songs are good. Some of the numbers in Two Girls and a Sailor are wonderful. She will be missed. Sigh.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older