Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cooking for Engineers

I recently discovered this terrific cooking site, which has step-by-step photos along with clear directions for each recipe. The header on the blog says "Have an analytical mind? Like to cook? This is the site to read!"

I'm not much of a creative "wing it" cook; the clearer the directions, the better. (That's one reason I like the recipes by Cooks Illustrated so much; they're thorough and explain the whys and wherefores of each step.) Needless to say, this site appealed to me greatly. The detailed recipe for chocolate cake is an excellent example of the blog's style.

By a funny coincidence, just last night I was considering trying the recipe on our box of Albers Cornmeal as part of my quest for the perfect sweet cornbread. I was wondering if the 1/4 C. sugar would make it sweet enough. A couple years ago Cooking for Engineers tried this exact recipe, and also made it a second time with more sugar, then reported in detail on the results. Based on their experiment, I'm going to try it with half a cup of sugar when I make it. :)

I'll be visiting again often in future.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

Their recipe for fudge is fantastic. It's a big family favorite.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the tip, my husband loves to make fudge! :) I'll look for that right now. Best wishes, Laura

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cornbread with sugar!!!! Bite your tongue! Real cornbread does NOT have sugar! (Shaking head, heavy sigh.)

I'll get you either of my grandmother's cornbread recipes...but no SUGAR!

(Actually, I like it better with sugar, but it really isn't true cornbread once sugar gets added.)

10:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My reading indicates there are two kinds of cornbread, "northern" and "southern." Northern with sugar, southern without. I guess I'm a Yankee when it comes to cornbread, LOL! Seriously, though, would love the recipes! TTYS, Laura

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try to remember to get the recipes next time I'm at my parent's. If I forget, just remind me.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older