Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Answer is No...

...I would never vote for John McCain for President. Even if he were running against Hillary Clinton.

I was reminded of this again today by a lengthy interview Senator McCain gave to Esquire magazine. (Hat tip: Real Clear Politics.)

The interview underscores once more why I don't believe John McCain will ever be President, at least if he runs as a Republican. His attitudes are such that it seems impossible to me that he could win the primaries.

Among other things, he complains about the strength of the "Religious Right": "I urge my friends who complain about the influence of the religious Right, get out there and get busy. That's what they do!... The fact is, some of us have sat idly by while those very active people have basically set the agenda for our party."

And the problem with that is...?

He goes on: "I understand the frustrations a lot of Republicans feel. We're not representing their hopes and dreams and aspirations. We worry about Ms. Schiavo before we worry about balancing the budget. We're going to take up this Family Marriage Amendment again. Why?"

Well, Senator, you're certainly not representing my hope for control over our borders... The rest of this comment simply makes me roll my eyes in exasperation.

He crabs about radio talk show hosts: "I would never say this publicly, but some of these talk-show hosts—and I'm not saying they should be taken off the air; they have the right to do what they want to do—I don't think they're good for America...."

Considering the restrictions on free speech under the McCain-Feingold Act, I frankly am not completely comfortable that Senator McCain really doesn't think they should be taken off the air.

Further, Senator McCain obviously has no clue how much good radio talk show hosts have done for the free exchange of ideas in this country, or how much they have helped his party...or perhaps it's more that he doesn't like what radio talk show hosts have done, because he isn't a conservative, he's a RINO.

Hugh Hewitt generously says that he would vote for Senator McCain if he's the Republican Presidential nominee, but after years following McCain's career, I cannot agree with Hugh. McCain may hold some conservative positions, but I feel that I would be choosing, in essence, between two Democrats.

I greatly respect the Senator's military service to our country, but in all honesty I also have serious concerns about whether he is temperamentally suited to the office of the Presidency. Last week Ronald Kessler wrote a piece for NewsMax addressing this topic. He isn't the first to raise the issue. I've heard enough rumblings about McCain's behind-the-scenes behavior over the years to think that it merits a closer look by voters before electing him to the highest office in the land.

I'm not a Mitt Romney fan -- I don't understand why more conservatives aren't troubled by his mandatory health insurance program in Massachusetts -- and at this early date lean towards Governor (now Senator) George Allen as the nominee I could most enthusiastically support.

But whoever the nominee turns out to be, no McCain...not now, not ever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I'm right there with you... McCain will never get my vote... ever..never...ever... EVER!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

We are kindred spirits on this subject! :) Best wishes, Laura

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older